Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Finland

I promised my friend if she came to visit me, that I would go visit her. This is my journey while visiting her in Helsinki, Finland.

I flew to the Helsinki airport with Norwegian, and it all went really smooth. The flight took 1 hour and 20 minutes from London Gatwick ( and 1 hour 50 mins back).

I wasn't really sure what to see and do, although I had done some research. Once I arrived (around 3pm), I met my friend and dropped off my luggage at her flat. After that she took me on a quick tour of Helsinki before we went back to her flat for dinner (this mini tour was worth it as I was on my own the next day).

My first full day in Helsinki consisted of me taking the train into the city and doing tourist-y things. Seriously, you can wander around the city and see all the sights in one day!

Helsinki Cathedral

Senate Square

Uspenski Cathedral

Helsinki Harbour

Love Bridge

View from Uspenski Cathedral

Market Square

Esplanadi

Esplanadi
Day two, my friend and I went to Suomenlinna, and island fortress.






House built into a hill


Day three was spent museum going and shopping!

I went to the Helsinki City Museum (history of how Helsinki came to be, Helsinki life), Ateneum (Finish and international art) and Kiasma (Contemporary Art Museum). For a small-ish city, there were plenty of malls: Kamppi, Forum, Kluuvi, ITIS and Galleria Esplanad.

I also recommend shopping in Helsinki's Design District. It is really pricey, but there are lots of independent boutiques that sell a wide range of styles.

Dinner was at a traditional Finish (Lapland style) restaurant. We both had the reindeer meat. IT WAS SO GOOD!




For those of you interested, we went to Saaga (Bulevardi 34, 00120 Helsinki).


Näkemiin!

xChelsx

No comments:

Post a Comment